Dry eye is a very common condition that affects people of all ages and oftentimes involves many elements.
Here are some common symptoms of dry eye:
- blurred vision
- scratchy or gritty sensation
There are three layers produced by different glands within and around the eye that combine to form tears. There are many different causes of dry eye that depend on which of these layers or glands is being affected.
Some of the most common causes of dry eye include:
- Medications: birth control pills, high blood pressure medications, antidepressants, anti-histamines
- Environmental factors: Wind, dust, and dry climates
- Medical conditions: thyroid disease, autoimmune disease, rheumatoid arthritis
Treating Dry Eye:
Many treatment options for dry eye exist. The course of treatment oftentimes depends on the cause of the dry eye and the severity of the signs and symptoms.
Common treatment options include:
- Lubricating eye drops or artificial tears
- Steroid eye drops
- Vitamins and fish oil supplements
- Punctal plugs
A lot of times, multiple treatment options are necessary to successfully manage dry eye disease.
It is important to talk to your eye doctor to find out what the best treatment option is for you.